DioEnglish.com

Title: how to be a good speaker? [Print]

Author: JamesGee    Time: 2010-12-2 19:15
first, have confidence and don't be afraid of speaking; then, enjoy yourself. Practice makes perfect!
Author: lushanshan9010    Time: 2010-12-4 18:00
to be a good speaker , you have to listen first and foremost , such as , BBC news , VOA special English , CRI , and watching movies as much as you can . secondly , do more wholesome readings . the last but not the least , open your mouth , speaking to people around you , chatting online , and retelling stories with your own words as well as concluding the main idea of an article . as long as you do according to what i have mentioned above , you will make a step forward to conquer spoken English . i was a teacher . thanks .
Author: C.Robert    Time: 2010-12-4 21:27
Practise doesn't make you a perfect speaker, but it will help you to become a better one.

First of all, knowledge of the language is important. Second, it's important to be yourself when you are speaking in public. Third, have eye contact with your public. Fourth, if possible, be prepared, know what you want to say. Fifth, use humor and so on...

Literature tip: The Oxford guide to speaking in public
Author: wangxiaoqinqq    Time: 2011-1-24 13:08
C.Robert: Practise doesn't make you a perfect speaker, but it will help you to become a better one.

First of all, knowledge of the language is important. Seco
aha,you always give us some good suggestion
Author: rich    Time: 2011-1-25 15:31
i agree with C. Robert. if you have to speak impromptu, being yourself is the most important. Highfive also has a good point here. if you focus your attention on the content, just say what you want to say, you stand more chance to make a good public speech. in the long run, however, you'll have to improve yourself by reading,seeing or participating. experience plays an important role in this.
Author: sophie10    Time: 2011-1-25 19:54
As an English major, i can safely tell you that the acquirement of knowledge about English is not enough for you to be a good language speaker. To be honest,  I am familiar with quit a lot of English words, structures , expressions by listening to the BBC, even tried to mimic the British accent, watching English original movies and reading varied news sources from the CCTV 9 international, but it doesn't work apparently. I have good prounciation, well , I think so, but can not be qualified as a good English speaker for lacking of  logic to express naturally in English , the speech and conversation were empty, and sometimes even can not find more words to enrich it . It upsets me.
For my experience, I believe that the environment is very important for a language speaker, so if it is available , to study abroad is strongly recommended and when the condition is limited,  try to creat the environment surrounding you by your own self. Moreover, write more is a good way to practise your logic and improve your expression, It is the thing  i am doing now.
Hope you can benefit from it. Wish you good luck.
Author: rainbowgirl    Time: 2011-5-20 15:11
to this question,i must say confidence is the most of foundation. confidence plus interest plus hard work equals good speaker.another important factor is your pronunciation,if your pronunciation is not good enough ,you should read the article following the tape. and when you make a speech you should consider yourself a global citizen,not just standing  here reciting.
Author: wuchangpei    Time: 2011-6-22 11:18
lushanshan9010: to be a good speaker , you have to listen first and foremost , such as , BBC news , VOA special English , CRI , and watching movies as much as you can
Teacher Lu,
I will do as your reply,I have confidence to conquer my spoken English .But I have some  doubt about  my vacabulary,how to enlarge it fast and effectively?
Author: wuchangpei    Time: 2011-6-22 14:09
sophie10: As an English major, i can safely tell you that the acquirement of knowledge about English is not enough for you to be a good language speaker. To be
Thanks,your give us so many constructive suggestions .Maybe many English learner can benefit from it,but to me,I think it wouldn't work for me,new words,new expressions will trouble me ,I'm afraid of that I will lose confidence and interests before difficulties.
Author: lushanshan9010    Time: 2011-7-11 18:53
try to read more , and learn to remember new words through sentences and expressions while you are reading , that is supposed to be one of the ways enlarging vacabulary. another way is to learn words by thinking , let me explain it . when you see the word, say " good" , you should think the same meaning one, like"well ", "better","best", and "great". then by this way can you enlarge your vacabulary well , i suppose . Just you try ! break your leg !
Author: wuchangpei    Time: 2011-7-12 10:26
I  appreciate your reply,I will try and do my best as you said above.I think both of the two ways are very effective.Thank you very much,teacher Lu.
Author: Johnnyjiang    Time: 2011-7-14 11:29
I want to say, maybe I'm a good speaker in Chinese but not such good in English, whatever which language you use, they have some points in common, you should open your mouth, and speak it out loudly, don't be scared in public.
Author: summerhill    Time: 2011-8-14 21:33
lushanshan9010: try to read more , and learn to remember new words through sentences and expressions while you are reading , that is supposed to be one of the ways en
you are sooo kind!
Author: lonpe    Time: 2011-8-18 12:24
sophie10: As an English major, i can safely tell you that the acquirement of knowledge about English is not enough for you to be a good language speaker. To be
Learning the second language the environment is extremly significant to us.We should construct a harmonious language enviroment as much as possible.I support what you said.No matter how disadvantageous the surrounding is ,the way to solve the problem always can be came up with.

Welcome to DioEnglish.com (http://www.dioenglish.com/) Powered by Discuz! X2.5