DioEnglish.com

Title: Emily Dickinson, the Lonely Muse [Print]

Author: youthy    Time: 2009-8-2 19:22
Benjamin Franklin Newton may be the one who influenced her most, who recommended her some works of poets such as W. Wordsworth, Emerson etc.. And Newton gave her his utmost trust and encouragement, believing deeply that she would be a good poet. This, to a teenage girl, must be a strong power in writing. Later, unfortunately, Newton died from tuberculosis, which might be a regret for Dickinson. Maybe as a strong miss of the important person in life, Dickinson secluded herself in a small room reading and writing. And as said by 小莫, she  could all experience everything through other ways, such as reading. So, success is absolutely possible for her.
Author: EmilyJunior    Time: 2009-8-2 19:38
hirondelle: Her poem is short but precise. She and Jane Austen have something im common, both of who were confined to a small place but had a deep understanding o
hehe to tell the truth, I am not that into Jane Austen, but if for enlargement of vocab, her works are ok. However, I am really fond of Emily and Edith Wharton. I think you hit the point that her poems are precise and short. nive to meet you.your name remind me of a word, no offense, sauterelle.
Author: EmilyJunior    Time: 2009-8-2 19:42
小莫: I think Jane Austen read a lot, even though I am not sure. They weren't completely out of contact with the outside world. Sometimes people can't exper
oh I get a new idea. Maybe there are two kinds of experiences, materially and spiritually. Maybe they just experience more in their spiritual world
Author: hirondelle    Time: 2009-8-2 19:49
EmilyJunior: hehe to tell the truth, I am not that into Jane Austen, but if for enlargement of vocab, her works are ok. However, I am really fond of Emily and Edit
Edith Wharton, I recollect that The Age of Innocence  had won her the Pulitzer Prize. But I only read her novella Ethan Frome~~As to my name, hirondelle is a french word meaning swallow. I use this word because the last character of my Chinese name is 燕~~
Author: EmilyJunior    Time: 2009-8-2 19:53
hehe sauterelle is also a french word, meaning cricket
Author: youthy    Time: 2009-8-2 19:59
EmilyJunior: hehe glad to hear that. Good teachers are hard to find.The teachers in my university is so...unthinkable
Hehe~ we have to learn to tolerate in universities, do you think so? Anyhow, we also need to learn to be happy every day!
Author: EmilyJunior    Time: 2009-8-2 20:06
youthy: Hehe~ we have to learn to tolerate in universities, do you think so? Anyhow, we also need to learn to be happy every day!
hehe it's always the smallest things that drive me crazy. haha, the teachers? I never tried to tolerate. They are corrupt
Author: EmilyJunior    Time: 2009-8-2 20:15
youthy: But we can do but nothing! when i was in university, i was extremely angry about many so-called teachers, but nothing could be done but being nearly c
haha, you are out of university now? I am still in the hell. I believe if one day I step out of it, I will feel much better. What's ur major then?
Author: youthy    Time: 2009-8-2 20:19
english
Author: youthy    Time: 2009-8-2 20:20
EmilyJunior: haha, you are out of university now? I am still in the hell. I believe if one day I step out of it, I will feel much better. What's ur major then?
English. and you?
Author: youthy    Time: 2009-8-2 20:29
Just so so. In fact, it goes the same with other majors. Maybe English major now is better than some other major such as law. Be relaxed.
Author: 小莫    Time: 2009-8-2 20:46
EmilyJunior: oh I get a new idea. Maybe there are two kinds of experiences, materially and spiritually. Maybe they just experience more in their spiritual world
Very interesting.
Or direct experience and indirect experience.
Author: EmilyJunior    Time: 2009-8-2 20:51
小莫: Very interesting.
Or direct experience and indirect experience.
hehe yes. but I think in ur opinion, indirect experience means reading ?

Welcome to DioEnglish.com (http://www.dioenglish.com/) Powered by Discuz! X2.5