DioEnglish.com

Title: help me to translate this sentence [Print]

Author: minyingtao    Time: 2010-1-12 17:10
self-evaluate (v.)
Author: sedgehead    Time: 2010-1-30 10:00
While self-evaluate is probably a good definition, my computer software suggests: self esteem.  I suspect that's a good definition.  What's the difference?  Self esteem is how you feel about yourself.  You can have low self esteem and feel you are not important or good at anything.  Or you can have high self esteem to the point of being egotistical.  On the other hand self evaluation is a bit more formal in reviewing how you did at a specific task or skill.  For example, you could have low self esteem (feeling poorly about your past efforts) and still do a self evaluation (deciding you want to improve because your skills do not meet the goals you have set for yourself).
Author: Moyan    Time: 2010-2-9 09:26
thank you very much!
Author: Alice666    Time: 2010-2-13 10:09
"self-evaluation" has been widely used in China, however, I couln't find it's definition from either Cambridge Dictionary or Longman English Dictionary(both English-English Edition).
Meanwhile, for "self-esteem", quote from Cambridge Dictionary :respect for yourself; from Longman English Dictionary: the feeling of being satisfied with your own abilities, and that you deserve to be liked or respected.
And "自我评价" in english has been world widely used as "self-assessment",definition from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary:a judgment, sometimes for official purposes, which you make about your abilities, principles or decisions.
Definition from Longman English Dictionary:when you judge your own work or progress.

Welcome to DioEnglish.com (http://www.dioenglish.com/) Powered by Discuz! X2.5