1. The mother said she would __ her son washing the dishes if he could finish his assignment before supper.
A let down
B let alone
C let off
D let out
2. This kind of material can __ heat and moisture.
3. Understanding the cultural habits of another nation, especially __ containing as many different subcultures as the United States, is a complex task.
B the one
4. In order to raise money, Aunt Nicola had to __ with some of her most treasured possessions.
5. The new appointment of our president __ from the very beginning of next semester.
A takes effect
B takes part
C takes place
D takes turns
1. 选C ①let off原谅，不处罚，放过 With your record, you can hardly expect to let off lightly.
② let down使失望，食言③let alone别管，别烦Let her alone! She didn’t pick a quarrel with you.④ let out让……离开Open the door and let the cat out. 别忘了：)休息一下
2. 选D ①delete消去，删除 Delete his name from the list of applicants.②compel强迫，迫使（运用权利/力量对方采取行动）He was compelled by illness to give up his studies.③constrain 限制，约束（强调内心情感），后接不定式 His activities must be constrained.④ repel排斥，抵制，防，抗We should not repel but protect young people’s enthusiasm.
3.选A 依语意以句子结构，此处需要一个代词，表泛指，则选one;而the one表特指 Please get the chair for me, the one in the corner.
4.选C ①part 不及物动词 “分别，离别”Scarcely an hour has passed since we parted.②divide分，划分Is the land to be divided up or sold as a whole?③separate使……分离④abandon抛弃，放弃The order was given to abandon ship.
5.①take effect（药物）见效，（法律等）生效The new system of taxation will take effect next May.②take part参加③take place发生，举行④take turns轮流，依次They are unwilling to take turns at the same computer.