DioEnglish.com

Lost Password?
 Register
Search
View: 2456|Reply: 6
Print Previous Next

do you have any problem of reading english novel ?

[Copy Link]

Threads

Friends

Basic Member

Jump to
楼主
Post on 2011-5-22 23:18:53 |View author's posts only |View in descending order
          I have read several english novel, to be honest, The purpose to reading those books not only for learing english but to give me a new way to research anyother culture. the problem is I am not so enjoy at reading to compare with reading chinese writings. for example,  the human name and place name metioned was so elusive and meaningless to me ...farther more,I can hardly find the story like struggle for leaving, learning, hard working and other sorts of social problem taking place in China. do you feel the same way? how about your opinion?

Use Magic Report

Threads

Friends

沙发
Post on 2011-5-23 21:10:57 |View author's posts only
Well, I have tried to read English novel. Only fairy tales or other books which fit in with my current English level. I've been told that reading English novel is one of the best ways to improve your understanding toward western culture and your writing skill. So I resort to do it, but things didn't go well. A lack of vacaburary and right thinking pattern make us at disadvantage. Hence, I consider you can change another way to read it.

Use Magic Report

Threads

Friends

板凳
Post on 2011-5-24 12:59:53 |View author's posts only
Do you have some good book to recommand?I have some trouble on reading novel too,there are so many words I don't understand,it effects the reading quality.

Use Magic Report

Threads

Friends

地板
Post on 2011-5-28 21:35:32 |View author's posts only
the main reason is the new word,very confused.

Use Magic Report

Threads

Friends

5#
Post on 2011-5-28 23:35:53 |View author's posts only
I've just finished Dan Brown's Digital Fortress. The plot is ingeniously devised, but the part concerning cryptography is a little obsolete. None the less, it is still a good novel to recommend.
In my humble opinion, there are, for us non-native English speakers, mainly two obstacles lying on the road to fully appreciating an English novel: everyday words and phrases, and foreign culture. I seldom resort to a dictionary when reading those more serious works, such as textbooks, philosophical monographs etc., but I have to admit there are still many words I don't recognize in a normal English novel, which frequently show up in oral and informal English and most of which are less than six letters long. These little guys are more difficult to memorize than those big words due to their lack of internal structure. As for the second obstacle, it takes us more than reading many novels to conquer. Take Digital Fortress for an instance, the male protagonist had a mission to accomplish in Spain, where I encountered as a reader a lot of cultural issues of the Roman Catholic. I don't think reading another book from Dan Brown would possibly unsettle these confusions for me. In order to understand the Western culture, we have to read more.

Use Magic Report

Threads

Friends

Basic Member

6#
Post on 2011-7-4 13:18:08 |View author's posts only
I still insist that plot you metion is pivotal, if you find a book you are really interested in, you may find new words was no problem. I like Jane Eyre, it use narrative way make me easy to create resonate of my own experience. another novel 'coral kiss' only two protagonist's love story. which always have a thread to link form beginning to the end.
by the way, for many of you talk about new words, I don't know you way to cope with when you meet them. my own way is like this , i take much time reading on the computer, use youdao(words software) to pick up and save it in textbook , when it amount more than 2000 or so, I will edit them in word processing tools and print it for further remeber, cause those word you first meet in context, you can easily recall it if not a long time past, at least lot of them. that is my way of learning words and phrases, so what's all of you way of learning?

Use Magic Report

Threads

Friends

7#
Post on 2011-7-30 07:05:07 |View author's posts only
feiyuyitiao: I still insist that plot you metion is pivotal, if you find a book you are really interested in, you may find new words was no problem. I like Jane Ey
I appreciated your idea.
My former approach is find the means in the dictionary instantly when I found a new word in the novel,it is inefficiently smetimes

Use Magic Report

每周一篇英文日志,坚持一年,你的英语能力将发生质的飞跃!

DioEnglish.com --- A Nice Place to Practice English and Make New Friends!

English Writing, English Blog, English Diary, 英语角, 英语写作, 英文写作, 英语交流, 英语日记, 英语周记, 英文日记, 英语学习, 英语写作网, 英语作文大全

Website Rules|Contact Us|茶文化|英文博客网 ( 京ICP备06064874号-2 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-24 08:16